Casa Reilkoff Schraefel

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Spring in Saskatchewan April 18, 2007

After 3 days of raking in the yard my back cried for a rest and since my sister Cathy was here for the weekend Sunday seemed a perfect day to take a break. We filled garbage bags of old frozen food and cleaned out the freezer and fridge in mom's house, then on Tuesday I dragged them to the street. The blueberries melted and ran all over the porch rug staining it dark blue. Clean up one mess and make another.

Today, Wednesday, it is raining lightly but it is the first day without bright sunshine so I can't complain. Dylan and I got up early and walked Milkshake down by the old train station where he is taking a two week gun safety course [Dylan, not Milkshake]. He really is a guy guy and though it worries me that he handles guns it is far better that he have all the knowledge available. He doesn't seem very interested in hunting but has a paint ball gun and the novelty seems to have warn off quickly, as well as a pellet gun which he uses for target practice out at the edge of town in Grandpa's yard.

Gradually I have taken art supplies up the block to my mom's house that she left to me in her will. I am hoping to get inspired by the bright kitchen or verandah [on sunny days] and will be able to leave things spread out which I can't do here at home. I am in the process of figuring out what to do with the house. It is worth very little here in our small outback town of Kerrobert, Saskatchewan but I could likely rent it this fall for enough to cover expenses and perhaps occasional repairs, though it is in fairly good condition for such an old bungalow.

Another big concern is that Dylan is digging in his heels about staying in Canada for school once he enters junior high this fall in grade seven. I expect he gets just as good an education in LosBarriles as he does in Kerrobert but it is more difficult to slip back and forth breaking up the continuity of the school year in two countries. It would be easier if he was a scholarly kid, but he's a real boy and school is just something he is forced to do. He used to enjoy it up to about grade four. This past winter I experienced 3 months of cold bitter weather and can barely fathom the six that those who couldn't leave had to endure.

Monday evening I started a running/walking program with a group of women and tonight we will go come rain or shine [though only not if it is lightening-bring on the lightening!] I missed last week when they started with 30 seconds running and 4 minutes walking. This week I started at 1 minute run and a 4 minute walk for 45 minutes. I'm not convinced I'll ever be able to run more than a minute, but who knows-quisas/perhaps!

Have a good week and know that I'm thinking of you all even if I don't e-mail you individually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home