Casa Reilkoff Schraefel

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Fin de Semana

More from Santo Domingo which is just a block away from the pension.


Church bells and incense woke me this morning. Noisy neighbours and fireworks kept me awake during the night so I turned on my week bedside lamp and continued reading Bel Canto.
Having my morning good strong Mexican coffee in Sally's room.

Despite my hobbling foot we managed to keep busy Friday and Saturday. Armando went round to fetch his car which he keeps in a lot somewhere and drove us a couple of blocks up the hill to a great little indoor taco restaurant then after we went downtown to a huge Dulceria so he and Xochitl could buy loads of candy for their store out in a small pueblo a few hours from Oaxaca where Armando was raised. Saturday morning Sara and I went up to the small outdoor market that has so many wonderful food vendors and I had a tostada and agua de jimaica while Sara had some weird white corn drink with floaties in a gourd. It tasted like sweet flour and water, no gracias. Later we went down to the zocolo and visited the Morales gallery, then checked out some wonderful shops in old plazas that were overwhelming with great stuff for great prices, but alas I could not buy everything I wanted. For supper we went up the street to a lovely more upscale restaurant in a courtyard and as we entered it was sprinkling with rain and they were just rolling the retractable roof closed. Way cool! We both decided on salads and I had a delicious mix of jicama, avacado, oranges, and salmon toasted with sesame seeds and honey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home