Casa Reilkoff Schraefel

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Mi Casa es mi casa

How nice it is to be back in our beautiful casa in Spa Buena Vista with a big comfortable bed with amazing sunny views and a wonderful breeze. I have loads more photos to share from Oaxaca and will continue to post, if possible, until such time as I figure out a way to put them all on one site to be viewed as a slide show as Brendan has done with his wonderful photos from Italy.

It still amazes me that I could travel for two weeks and not see any other tourists. An older couple of women I took for Europeans in the Toluca airport sat beside me in the front row of the Interjet flight and it turned out they were sisters who were third or fourth generation Mexicans who spoke German at home as well as Spanish of course and one had very passable English. They were surprised that I had spent such a pleasant vacation in Oaxaca as they were under the impression from the press that it was dangerous. Indeed it was about as dangerous as Kerrobert on a Saturday night after a hockey game-watch out for a few happy drunks! The people do seem determined not to give in and the governor doesn't seem likely to step down just because the 'people' want him to-so there is an impasse and since the police have backed out of the struggle and most people want no violence it seems it could go on for some time yet. Oddly enough I borrowed a book from Sara called Bel Canto about exactly that - a standoff between a group of young terrorists who take over a huge house hoping to capture the President of some South American country unnamed; however the President decided not to attend so they spend months voicing demands and actually becoming friends, but not willing to give in. I do hope the situation in Oaxaca ends in a better way than it did in the book.

Today I am catching up on laundry and tomorrow I will do a bit of painting in the living room. There is much that could be done but my foot keeps me from hopping up and down from stools comfortably. Will give the photo thing one more try...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home